Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Linux Journal on the Usability of GNOME

I wrote an article for Linux Journal about the usability of GNOME, based on my usability research. Linux Journal has now posted the article online for you to read: The Usability of GNOME.

Here's a preview:
I work at a university, and one of our faculty members often repeats to me, "Software needs to be like a rock; it needs to be that easy to use." And, she's right. Because if software is too hard to use, no one will want to use it.

I recently spoke at GUADEC, the GNOME Users And Developers European Conference, and I opened my presentation with a reminder that GNOME is competing for mind share with other systems that are fairly easy for most people to use: Mac, iPad, Windows and Chromebook. So for GNOME to continue to be successful, it needs to be easy for everyone to use—experts and newcomers alike. And, that's where usability comes in.

Please read the article and leave a comment!

I plan to continue writing follow-up articles about usability testing, possibly looking at other, similar venues such as Linux Voice magazine. If you have suggestions for other places that would be interested in articles about usability in open source software, please let me know!
image: Linux Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.