Sunday, February 26, 2017

How to get started in open source software

A friend pointed me to the Open Source Guides website, a collection of resources for individuals, communities, and companies who want to learn how to run and contribute to an open source project. I thought it was very interesting for new contributors, so I thought I'd share it here.

The website provides lots of information about starting or joining an open source project. There's lots to read, but I hope that doesn't seem like too much for people interested in getting started in open source software. Open Source Guides has several sections for new developers:
  1. How to Contribute to Open Source
  2. Starting an Open Source Pro ject
  3. Finding Users For Your Project
  4. Building Welcoming Communities
  5. Best Practices for Maintainers
  6. Leadership and Governance
  7. Getting Paid for Open Source Work
  8. Your Code of Conduct
  9. Open Source Metrics
  10. The Legal Side of Open Source
I'm not connected with Open Source Guides, but I think it's a great idea!

Of course, there are other ways to learn about open source software, how to get involved and how to start your own project. Eric Raymond's essay series The Cathedral and the Bazaar are the typical go-to examples about open source software. Along similar lines, Opensource.com has a very brief primer on open source contributor guidelines. And there are countless other articles and books I could mention here, including a few articles written by me.

But I'm interested in the open source software community, and anything that helps new folks get started in open source software will help the community grow. So if you're interested in getting involved in open source software, I encourage you to read the Open Source Guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment